Reply To: Virtual Yarn-along Replay 12/18/20 – Favorite Handmade ornaments and Heirlooms

Reply To: Virtual Yarn-along Replay 12/18/20 – Favorite Handmade ornaments and Heirlooms

Home Forums Weekly Virtual-Yarnalong Replay Virtual Yarn-along Replay 12/18/20 – Favorite Handmade ornaments and Heirlooms Reply To: Virtual Yarn-along Replay 12/18/20 – Favorite Handmade ornaments and Heirlooms

CarlaStanfieldCarlaStanfield

Gift Wrap Cowl recipe

My Holiday gift to You my lovely Loopsclub Members🎁

This will be a treasure hunt through your stash, so gather up your bits and pieces, especially looking particularly for those bright, exuberant fibers that you just don’t know what to do with. You might have novelty feathery yarns, or eyelash, or yummy ribbon purchased a long time ago and you just haven’t found the ‘right’ project for them. This is the one!

These unusual yarns, ones we have had on hand because they were just to yummy not to pick up a skein, those little special bits we saved because they were just too pretty to throw away, the ones that just scream with personality, those are the ones you want for this project.

I made my GWC with ribbon that had been in my stash for decades but It was just too pretty to get rid of. There are no real requirements of type, or weight, they can dazzle, or be soft and fluffy that choice is yours!

🎄The more you play, the more fun you’ll have and the more you’ll love the finished cowl.🎄

I like this recipe best with a strong dose of star power! But don’t forget your supporting yarns, because that’s the yarn that makes the stars look their best!  These yarns will be the stability and balance of the cowl (as well as making it comfortable to wear your show-stopper against you neck)

Materials:

I had approx 109 yards each of my ribbon yarn so that’s approx 220 yards of show-stopper yarn, and for my companion yarns both worsted weight, I had approximately twice that yardage around, 400 yards.

Needles: I wanted a bold fun project and this one can be done on size 10 US.

To Begin:

Using the crochet method I provisionally cast on 150 stitches with worsted weight yarn. Join in the round being careful not to twist your stitches.}

Section 1:

Knit 6 rounds. (I carried the worsted yarn up the back, it will not show because you are knitting a tube.)

Next join Novelty yarn and purl the next 3 rounds

Repeat these 9 rows 2 more times.

Section 2:

This is a good time to change worsted weight for another color or texture, or you may carry on the the same yarn if you like.

Lace pattern:

Choose a lace pattern you’ve enjoyed and knit that for 24 rows

Join novelty yarn and purl 6 rows

Section 3:

Pick a textured stitch and knit for 24 rows

Join novelty yarn and purl 6 rows

Section 4

Repeat section 1

Section 5

Repeat section 2

Continue in this manner until your tube reaches 26”

For a 10” stitch using only the worsted yarn to make a comfortable back for your neck. At 36” join to beginning edge with three needle bind off.

© 2021 loopslove.com

Shelley's new book now available!

Scroll to Top